The Valley Gardens Pontefract
One of many tranquil places to soak up the atmosphere which this beautiful area has to offer is the Valley Gardens, whilst visiting the other places of interest which the market town of Pontefract has to offer.
Visitors comments about the Valley Gardens in Pontefract
Be the first to comment on this. Send us your email from our CONTACT page today.
History Of The FriarWood Valley
This lovely green oasis close to Pontefract town centre is hidden from view in the valley beyond and below Southgate so that visitors to the town may not be aware of its existence, but it is well Worth a visit. Friarwood Valley, named after St Richard’s Friary which was demolished at the Dissolution in 1538, subsequently comprised gardens, orchards and liquorice plantations until 1947 when it was acquired by the Council to create the Valley Gardens as a public park for the Commemoration of the Festival of Britain.
When the gardens opened in 1950, there was a profusion of flower beds, an ornamental stream, aviary, paddling pool and stage, but all gradually disappeared as the Council’s resources dwindled over the years and the park was reconfigured for easier maintenance. However, the trees are now mature and Valley Gardens remain a beautiful space, especially in the spring and autumn when the views are outstanding. Pontefract is proud of its Valley Gardens and a Friends group has been formed with the aim of restoring it to its former glory.
Below is a picture of what the area used to look like all those years ago. More details about this area of Pontefract can be found by visiting the Friends of Friarwood Valley Gardens website To read more about this location relating to St Richards Friary, click on the button that is below the picture of the friary.