The Counting House Pontefract
A place of much history it has to
said can be found at this 16th century building, whilst in recent times being a pub, other places ( interest can be found all over Pontefract.
Visitors comments about The Counting House in Pontefract.
Be the first to comment on this. Send us your email from our CONTACT page today.
History of the Counting House – Pontefract
The building of the Counting House has an interesting history; it dates back to the 16th Century. The House belonged to a Leonard Healaugh who had become an Alderman in 1561 and again in 1584 and then became Mayor in 1565 to 1566. He died in 1601 but his descendants did not own the property for long. Alderman Robert Frank had it in 1657 at which time it was the most highly rated house in the town. When the Frank family left the house, it lost its importance.
The building was in two main sections with a large house on Cornmarket and the back range containing storage buildings which was extended as the home grew. During the 18th Century the long room was split into Cottages and was re-roofed twice. The building was left unoccupied for a longtime and fell into disrepair before being bought by a Mr Malcolm Lister in 1989. The Pontefract and District Archaeological Society did an investigation of the building shortly after.
The building which once had been used as a Merchant Bank or Counting House, and also for Malting, was opened as a pub after 6 years of restoration by Malcolm and his son Guy. A picture is shown below